Wednesday, October 18, 2006

No Time

Sorry for the long delay between posts, but I have just started getting very busy. When I do have time I have no computer. When I have a computer I am working on things for my new job.

I was planning on analyzing the collapse of the Yankees and what I thought had gone wrong. However, after Lidle's tragic death none of it really seemed important anymore and that event put everything in perspective. All I have to say is that A-Rod better be back next year, but the criticism will never cease because once again he failed in the playoffs this season.

Over the hollidays my grandfather actaully gave me a deadline. One which I do not plan on reaching, know I will not reach, and I am happy to be missing this deadline. He told me I have to be engaged in two months. I told him no, not happening, sorry. So he decided to be "nice" and extend it to six months. At that point I was no longer listening as he went on his rant about how I have been fooling around and I have to get serious or I will never get married. I had to hold the phone away from my ear so that I wouldn't raise my voice. All of my other cousins over age 18 (except) one are all married and either have kids or are pregnant. You would think he would be satisfied with that, but no. All I have been hearing from him and most of my family for the past 4 years is why aren't I married yet. Hurry up they all tell me. I try to smile and say at the right time, but enough is enough. You don't really believe things will happen at the right time if you question why I am not married yet.

I do not feel the need to listen to the pressure family and society tries to place on me. I refuse to settle. I believe that when the right time comes things will fall into place. Until now I definitely was not ready for marriege. I am happy with my single life and I don't care what others think. I will do what's best for me and not what is best for everyone else or at least what they think is best. So they can "noo noo" all they want and drag over shadchanim to meet me, but I am going to do things my way and the sooner they realize that the better (although I don't think they will until I do get married). That wedding will definitely shock them. Have some faith in G-d that He will take care of things and they cannot rush it along. I do.

10 Comments:

Blogger Joe Schick said...

Good attitude, and don't let the pressure get to you. Too many young observant Jewish singles don't allow themselves to enjoy the benefits of single life because of the non-stop pressure.

10:36 AM  
Blogger bellanny said...

Tell me about it. The pressure doesn't get to me, it just makes me mad. It's my life......

11:04 AM  
Blogger Scraps said...

Chica, you gotta get out of there to save your sanity.

Just my $.02.

5:49 PM  
Blogger bellanny said...

Scraps- I don't just mean my immediete family. It's also my grandfather and 99% of my extended family.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

What a shame your family is not more supportive.
I can understand them on the one hand, but of you're ok with your single status for now then it's your right to wait a little longer
.

8:23 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Bellany...
wow..ur Grandpa sounds overbearing...
You gotta sit down with him once and explain your position and why he aint gonna change it.

9:33 AM  
Blogger bellanny said...

Prag- I plan on waiting as long as it takes. thanks.

David- I have tried explaining things, but he is very old school and believes a girl has to get married right away. It is very hard to argue with someone who survived the Holocaust and had a hard life. He is very European and when he grew up you weren't close with anyone except maybe sibling so we were never really close. I was just very surprised he would give me a deadline and tell me to stop fooling around.

11:42 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Hope the situation gets better you sound great in your attitude though.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bell - Don't give into the pressure. Honestly, i don't know how old you are or what your social background is, but I suspect you are no "old maid". Stick to your guns as log as you feel you need to. There is plenty to enjoy in this world before getting hitched AND when you get married, you lose the ability to grow as an individual. Too many ppl take that for granted. Sorry i'm so late in this discussion and I hope you see this comment.

E.

9:46 AM  
Blogger bellanny said...

swfm- thanks :-)

E- aww. thanks. it's never too late to comment. i don't give in to pressure. if anything it just makes me more determined to do things my way. yup i am definitely no old maid and i will take as long as i want. i have a sister right behind me and i told her to go ahead and date because i'm not going to rush it for her or anyone else.

a song i like to quote is Bon Jovi's Have a Nice Day. maybe i should start handing it out.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home