Monday, October 09, 2006

How...

So much to talk about, but unfortunately the sports must come first. The comments will come later. The wound is still too fresh to give you my opinions on what I think went wrong. The one person who can make up for it is long gone.

This poem was inspired by the Yankee collapse. I know some of you will say it is just a game, but it was more than a game to me, way more. It was my escape when things were going bad. A comfort zone. Yankee baseball was almost like another friend who didn't tear me down verbally. This season I had had enough "waiting for next years" to last me a while.

waiting
hoping
wishing
dreaming
whatever it takes
to win
striving to be
the best
achieve greatness
yet
the ultimate
reamains
elusive

unreal
in denial
disbelief
can't be
impossible
how
can this happen
AGAIN

distraught
dejected
let down
frustrated
angry
disgusted
another
missed opportunity
best yet
painful

blurry vision
just need
to knock
some sense
into...
wake up
do something
you can't win
by doing nothing
show some emotion
show you care
show that
it means something
put up a fight

can't pretend
it didn't happen
the world
won't let me
forget
but
give me
some time
back off
let me lick
my wounds
let reality
sink in

obviously
meant to be
G-d wanted it
but
it doesn't mean
I have to
like it

10 Comments:

Blogger Joe Schick said...

Has it occurred to you Yankee fans that there are lots of other major league teams, and that you are not entitled to annual World Series victories?

10:34 AM  
Blogger bellanny said...

I am not an ungrateful Yankee fan, but I am allowed to be disappointed when they lose. No one likes losing. Last time I checked it has not been annual.

I do not expect sympathy. This was just to help get some of my frustration out.

11:05 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Although I am happy about the Mets. I am sorry for you since it is a sorrow for you. Seriously speaking really!

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bell:

It's really hard to feel the pain of Yank fans - who spend so much time at the top and making the ugly stepchild Met fans feel like the proverbial garbage pile.

That said, you don't seem to be that kind of fan and merely maing the playoofs, such an accomplishment for many teams, is simply no balm for you.

Also, the crazy news abuot Cory Lidle. Nothing to say.

5:47 PM  
Blogger bellanny said...

SWFM-Thanks.

Elster-For me, making the playoffs is always exciting, but they clearly had the potential to go all the way as the best team in the AL that's why it was so disappointing. After the great comeback of last season I was happy with them just getting into the plaoffs as the AL East champions. No need for you to feel the pain or any sympathy, just getting out my frustartion. the Yankees will never get sympathy and the don't deserve it. They lost it for themselves.

As for Lidle, I was shocked. my Dad called me to tell me. Scary. There was an article in the NY Times Sep. 8 about Lidle and flying. the Yankees even said they were worried because of what happenned with Munson.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Scraps said...

This poem is about so much more than baseball. But it's as good a metaphor as any, particularly because it's "safe".

12:13 PM  
Blogger Cellar Door said...

yanks disgust me. blech.

8:53 PM  
Blogger bellanny said...

Right on Scraps.

Welcome back cellar door, Lidle's tragic death made me get over it in a hurry.

I hope to get another post up tomorrow. I have much to say, but my free time and computer time has not coincided lately.

11:07 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

hmmm u know...
The problem with Yankees is..they dont look like theyre having fun.
As a performer you're always told..to have fun on stage..and the audience will have fun too...
The Yankees play not to lose...theres this pressure to win it all..and therefore they have to win..its not a fun kind of winning.

9:35 AM  
Blogger bellanny said...

Right on. I definitely agree. That's why I liked the Baby Bomber team this year because winning became fun again and there was an energy to the team.

Another main issue I was going to address was the absence on reliable pitching (besides Wang and Moos). I think once they let Pettitte go and they never found someone to replace him it was all downhill from there. In big games almost no one really came through.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home