Thursday, October 05, 2006

ALDS Game 1

I started this post this morning, but I didn't get very far before I had to abandon it for work. It's now 10pm and thanks to the rain which has canceled Game 2 I have time to finish, although it will be short, sweet, and to the point.

October baseball begins. I can't believe it is playoff time again. Let the battles begin.

Overall it was a great game. Wang pitched pretty well, he did not have his best stuff but he piched well enough to win decisively. So the question most people have is why did Torre take Wang out in the 7th with only 2 outs. He had only thrown 93 pitches and was on a roll having retired the last 6 Tigers. Why would Torre venture into a shaky bullpen if he didn't have to?

Torre went to Myers to face a lefty and try to get the last out in the 7th. But Myers has not looked good for most of August and September. He was on the verge of striking out Granderson, but a foul tip kept him alive. Then Granderson turned on a pitch and hit it out of the park. The only reason Myers is on the team is to get out lefties and last night he failed big time. So then in trots Proctor. Proctor was great in the regular season, but he had the most relief appearances in the major leagues. Lat night he was not as sharp a usual when he let the first 2 batters reach base. Even I started to get a little nervous, but he got the last out. On comes Farnsworth for the 9th. he is usually an all or nothing guy and it looked like a nothing night when he threw his first 6 pitches for balls. When he let the tying run come to the plate I was really squirming and waiting for Mo in the 9th. I knew the bullpen was tired, but I didn't think they would be this bad. Well at least farnsworth will get his night off (said sarcastically).

I was also very worried about Sheff. Sure he is a great athlete, but he has only played first base for a little more than a week. I thought there was a very real possibility of him making a big error (or being unable to complete a crucial DP)and costing us the game. So far things are looking good and I can't complain. he even made a spectacular (I thought) stretch for an inning ending DP and ending up in a split position.

Great offense. The lineup, dubbed Murderers Row and the Cano by the Tigers, was all that and more. They got 5 runs in the 3rd, had 6 straight hits, and it all started with a little infield single by Damon. Abreu went 2 for 4 with 4 big RBIs. A-Rod had great at bats. Jeet was his usual october self and then some when he went 5 for 5 with 2 singles, 2 doubles, a homer, and a curtain call. After his homer A-Rod was the first one up the dugout steps to greet him. 2 of Jeter's hits created rallies that changed the game.

Tino threw out the first pitch. I missed it :-( because I only got to my friend's house in the bottom of the first to watch the game. He is such a classy guy and my favorite Yankee. I really miss him.

One last side note. the Devils signed Brian Gionta to a 3 year $12 million deal. He had amazing numbers last season. Very happy they brought him back. Maybe this year I will finally get to go and catch a game.

End result: Yankees 8 Tigers 4

3 Comments:

Blogger bellanny said...

oops. it didn't end up being so short :-D

1:21 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I am happy the Mets won last night.

11:22 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Oh wow!...Youre a Devils fan too!

2 good to be true!

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home