Monday, May 15, 2006

News Flash

I was flipping through the Saturday Sports Section of the New York Times when I came across an article that made me smile. The title read, "Israel Dreams Big, As In Big League." After I read the article I was speechless. Larry Baras plans for the sport to debut sometime next year and for the country to participate in the 2009 WBC. All the American Jews playing in the major leagues can obtain citizenship and play for the Israeli team. The article lists 11 major laeguers who are Jewish and there are probably many more in the minor leagues.

G-d really does look out for you. When I was thinking about making aliyah one thing that really worried me was where I would find a job with only a BA in Political Science and no fluency in the language. (I know almost everyone speaks English there...) Now, I could pursue my dream of a job in the sports field, specifically in baseball. I have nothing to stop me from making aliyah when the time comes, no excuse not to go. It's like G-d keeps pushing me closer and sending messengers and signs to change my mind.

In truth, I was wondering why there was no baseball in Israel. There are many Americans who live there and would fully support the effort. The economy is great, technology very advanced, and the democracy is one of America's greatest allies. The entertainment already seems Americanized, so why not add baseball. I think the sport will attract a very large audience. Israel will need time to get baseball rolling, build larger stadiums, and improve the teams. But, in a few years they should be able to compete with the "big boys." I was recently discussing the idea of recruiting Jewish players from America to the current sports teams in Isreal, like basketball and soccer. But, baseball is my favorite sport and I really know the ins and outs so to be able to apply that idea would be even more fun.

I will try to find out more about this effort and how I can get involved.

Some other quick points:
The Devils lost to the Carolina Hurricanes 4 games to one. That 5-1 win in game 3 came out of nowhere, but it only prolonged the inevitable. I still think if it weren't for that devestating loss in game 2 the Devils could have won the series. But, what's done is done. It was a great season, and after that winning streak and the great Rangers series it's a shame it had to end. I was disapponted to say the least, but there's always next year :-/. I wonder who will coach next year, will they bring in someone new or keep Lou in there. I feel like they will get someone else, but the team played very well for him.

Rowand's catch- The Phillies outfielder ran into the fence and broke his nose as well as fractured some bones around his left eye in a game saving catch (the Phills won 2-0). Isn't it common sense not to have a metal fence in a baseball stadium. Outfielders run into the wall all the time to grab the ball, bring back a home run, or smack into when they can't put on the brakes fast enough after racing to make a catch.

A-Rod has really had a breakout in the last week with some pivotal game winning homers. What do all the A-Rod haters have to say now?

1 Comments:

Blogger Scraps said...

W00t for sports updates and baseball in Israel! :-D

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home