Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Israel

Israel has always meant something special to me. My first time there was the year I spent in Israel. I had an amazing year. I felt like I was part of something greater. I knew I belonged there, but I don't know if it ever felt like home. A big part of that is the environment I was raised in. I did not go to Tzioni schools that try to imbue a love for the country and the land. At home my parents always referred to it as "Eretz Yisroel" and thought of it as our home that we would return to only when Moshiach comes. They never thought of living there or their kids living there or even wished they could live there. They only went to visit when they had a child who was in Israel for the year.

When I came back from Israel I felt a love for Israel and a connection to the land. But, I never thought I could live there. I, regretfully, was too attached to America. I was too comfortable. So I took the easy way out and decided I just couldn't do it. When I was thinking about where I would want to live there wasn't really any one place that stood out. (except LA which I loved) I love the city, but I also don't know if I would want to live in NY. Many, no not all, NYers are very judgmental and only judge people by their externals whether it is what they wear, what they do, how they look... Many communities are very self-involved. People are just concerned about what others would think and based on that they determine how they should behave etc. I want to be myself and I don't care what others will think or what they think is appropriate for a "good Jewish girl", but for my kids I want something more.

A few months ago I met someone who inspired me. That someone (who already made Aliyah) showed me that if/when an opportunity came along I could do it. It may be hard, but it is certainly worthwhile I spent 2 days rethinking my opinion of living in Israel, and I decided I wanted to do it and I could do it. I knew it was the right thing, always had. I was excited about the possibility and all that could come with it. Many of my closest friends plan to make Aliyah and others have already. If I have a support system like that I can do it in a second. They are like family already. Finally, with the right person at your side anything is possible.


"I've found a reason for me
To change who I used to be
A reason to start over new
and the reason is you"
Hoobastank

The Yankees won their home opener in dramatic fashion when they came from behind with a 5 run 8th, which was capped off by a 3-run homer by the captain, Derek Jeter :-).

The Devils won their 8th straight to clinch a playoff spot.

I will be away for Pesach, but I'm sure I'll have some great stories when I get back.

3 Comments:

Blogger Scraps said...

Sorry I missed this post; I was away for Pesach too, and I didn't have computer access.

I feel much the same way about Israel, except that the community day school I went to as a kid was pretty strongly Zionistic, so I always had that spark.

I hope you had a great Pesach, and that you'll get back to posting soon!

Libi ba'mizrach, v'anochi b'sof maarav...

10:22 AM  
Blogger the sabra said...

be in touch with Nefesh B'nefesh (nbn.org.il). they make everything go smoothly and easily. they are the bestest people to work with!!

6:29 PM  
Blogger bellanny said...

thanks i'll check it out

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home