Thursday, March 30, 2006

An "Interesting" Day

Yesterday I went to the NJ Nets sports career fair in Continental Airlines Arena. It was definitely an "interesting" day/night. I don't know if any jobs will come out of it yet, but none of the "big boys" were really hiring at the moment. Anyways, nothing really interesting happened there except a lot of boring waits on long lines. A free Nets ticket was also offered as part of the package for the fair. When I went back to my car some of the guys who went to the fair, and had parked their car next to mine, were changing out of their suits and into Nets jerseys. They weren't doing it in their car but outside. Did they think I wanted a personal strip show? It seems there are no rules or seperations (of private and public) in this world.

Since my little brother has been dying to go to a Nets game I offered to go pick him up from school and then drive back to the arena for the game. You can't beat having a sports fan for a sister. This was my first basketball game (now I have to go to a football game to complete the big sports four). The constant music throughout the game was great. It was definitely fun and I have always liked the Nets, but it reinforced how much I really love baseball and hockey.

By the end of the game my section had pretty much empied out. As we stood up to leave there were four Jewish guys at the bottom of the section who were also leaving. On their way out of their row they turned around. All four stopped, pointed, and stared at me for a full two minutes. So what if you see other Jewish people, or girls, at a game. It is New Jersey. Were they waiting for me to wave, go down and give them my number, or do they just like looking? Well I just ignored them and continued with my victory dance :-).

Then, on our way out of the arena, a married Jewish guy (who was with some friends and their wives) wished me and my brother a mazal tov. For what, I do not know. We clealry look like siblings. I know that at times I look 15, but I was wearing makeup because of the career fair so I don't think I looked 15 then and my brother definitely doesn't look older than 15 (if even that old). It was very odd.

Finally, while me and my brother were speedwalking to the car, which was parked by Giants Stadium, we almost walked right into my cousin on a date. It was a good thing I recognized her from behind two seconds before we would have passed them. She's from Brooklyn and not the type you would expect to see at a Nets game, so I was surprised to say the least. I didn't think she would appreciate an interuption or introductions so I forced myself to slow down and stay about 100 ft. back. Those of you that know me know I cannot walk slowly. It truly takes a conscious effort. And dates tend to walk really slowly. Their car was parked at the opposite end from ours ( should I say oh shucks? ;-) ) I don't know why, but I have a knack for meeting my cousins while they are on dates.

That's the end of my stories from last night. More to come.

4 days and change until the Yankees season opener in Oakland

2 Comments:

Blogger Scraps said...

Sounds like you had quite the interesting time...I once had a "mazal tov moment" with a (female!) friend of mine. It was winter, and she was wearing a big winter hat and a long coat (over a short skirt, so it didn't stick out), so I guess it's conceivable that someone could think she looked like a guy...but still. It was weird.

And you're very, very good for waiting for your cousin and her date. Walking behind dating people can be one of the most frustrating things ever.

10:28 AM  
Blogger bellanny said...

Thanks!~ The Mets did have a great game. But, they did get the benefit of two close calls. In one, Sorre was really safe at home because La Duca dropped the ball. So the game should have been tied, and the who knows what happens. Anyways, congrats on the win. I am still up listening to the Yankee opener. What a thriller, 15-1 Yankees in the 9th. (to keep pace)

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home