Saturday, June 17, 2006

Daily Dose of Starbucks

Part of NYC culture… no matter what time of day you can see someone walking around with a Starbucks cup… a quick double shot in the morning after a long night… a businessman/woman, white collar, blue collar, dress down, tourist, student, intern who gets the morning or afternoon coffee for everyone trying to balance it all and make sure they have everything right, anyone and everyone…so many choices, too many decisions, overwhelming at times… hot drinks, cold drinks, ice or no ice, tall, grande, vente, the customers who order the same thing every morning, the ones who like a little variation, those who take it black, those who take it without sugar, those who take it with milk, whole, fat free, or half and half, those who just get a regular or decaf “plain”, no Starbucks is plain, or the long fancy names with lots of flavors, low fat, choice or whipped cream, chock full of calories… your choice defines you for that moment, reveals your mood… just the coffee, with a piece of cake, a cookie, or bagel… getting a Starbucks because it is the chic thing to do… Starbucks card, cash, credit card, to stay and sit, or to go and on the run... the Starbucks in your building, around the corner, down the block, or even, gasp, 2 blocks down and one avenue over, every Starbucks blending with the surrounding, a Starbucks every 2 blocks, yet they all survive… it’s all still your daily dose of Starbucks… Love the notes on the side of the cup… some food for thought to start your day… I’m addicted

Starbucks…can’t remember life without it

10 Comments:

Blogger Scraps said...

I think I'm weird, in that I don't particularly like coffee, and therefore Starbucks has very little appeal to me. I must not be American. :-P

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know Starbucks isn't just in NYC right? Not that such ego-centrism isn't expected out of a New Yorker, even more specifically a yankee fan ;)

Scraps, you don't have to be a coffee fan to enjoy Starbucks I am not a coffee person but i LOVE their Carmel Macciato.

Two in a row to the Nationals? O veigh, from evil empire to the "other" team in NY. You doin alright?

11:57 AM  
Blogger bellanny said...

anon- True, I do think NYC is the center of everything, but other cities don't generally have Starbucks as part of the city culture. Starbucks is part of the American culture as a whole, yet how many cities have a Starbucks every 2 blocks? I have been to other big cities and Starbucks is not nearly as prevalent.

I'm doing fine. Thank you for asking. The two losses were not fun because they had the lead in the 8th, but the Yanks are playing with an injury laden team so it doesn't disturb me. When they get healthy again, beware.

The Yankees will never be the "other team." The Mets are stealing most of the spotlight this season only because they are finally good again after so many horrendous seasons, but the Yankees will make their run.

Scraps- I hated coffee until I got to college. You are not weird or unamerican, for some it is a given, an acquired taste, a necessary evil, ok, or abhorred. Maybe one day it will grow on you.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Scraps said...

I drink it at work, but only dosed up with a lot of milk and sugar, and only when I really need it. Never got into it when I was in college.

5:05 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

For me it's Dunking Donuts strawberry coolatas. I don't drink coffe. Those frapuchinos look really good. Nice posts first time here I think:). It won't be the last.

2:24 PM  
Blogger bellanny said...

Welcome! Those are great, although I prefer the Starbucks Strawberries and Cream.

2:48 PM  
Blogger ggggg said...

Ah, the power of marketing! It is coffee like any other, yet it is the coffee of choice to so many victims of advertising! Nice blog by the way.

9:20 PM  
Blogger bellanny said...

Thank you. Yes, marketing does wield great power, but Starbucks coffee is truly superior to all the others I have tasted. People are willing to pay more for a better product, although to some it is just for the "brand name."

10:05 PM  
Blogger chaverah said...

yes! i love starbucks. OF COURSE i like the coffee(yeah right!) what i really love is the status symbol, lol!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Scraps said...

You know why so many people get addicted to Starbucks and won't settle for any other coffee? My mother just told me the other day, that Starbucks coffee has a significantly higher level of caffeine than normal coffee. No wonder people can't stop drinking it!

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home